Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Saskatoon in June

This was a photo my mom sent me after I was told that brownbear had arrived in Saskatoon with daddy as planned, but with 7 stitches!

He fell into a play table at the Calgary airport and the paramedics there said to take him to Saskatoon as it would be more convenient. J waited until post-stitches to call me. It was so hard to hear this all at work. I burst out crying of course. J doesn't have the greatest ability to tell bad news. I thought the start of his story being "I have a little story for you (said ominously). Our little bear fell down..." was going to be much worse and I seriously stopped listening at that point. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a spurting wound on a toddler just before you are trying to catch a flight for work all alone. Poor J and bear!

I even checked said table on my journey through the airport 2 days later and there is not an edge on the thing. He's just unlucky I guess. This lack of grace is the ONLY thing he inherited from me. The photo above is such another J lookalike photo. The legs are SO daddy's legs! Long and straight.

But the bear bounced back. This was a photo from Sunday night, when everyone was over for my birthday.
It's hard to see but this is my niece being chased by a little bear! The feeling of watching them really play like this for the first time is the EXACT opposite feeling as when I got that call from Justin about "the fall"! Such a rollercoaster. Heart-stopping to heart-warming.

Here's my big brother, grandpa and mom for a family photo.

This was after many, many outtakes of the same photo. Both kids were not happy to have their 45 minute race around the kitchen be stopped for a photo but eventually they were coaxed into a couple still shots! Grandpa was helping too, that's why his finger was in the air.

Overall, Saskatoon was a great trip. The CBC radio there totally makes up for the GODAWFUL other radio stations. The spectacular blue skies, jogging through the mud trail along the Sask River surrounded by bushes (Nature's first air-conditioning). The expansive river, twice the breadth of the Bow River in Calgary is a marvel to run across on a bridge, but wow, the wind! Then there was the humidity, which had me perspiring the entire time of course. I just couldn't trust the weather, always expecting Calgary's cool weather to pick up anytime, so I wore sweaters and extra tights and had a sheen the whole 3 days. We even had dinner on an outdoor patio on an overcast evening, and no jacket! Take that Calgary. Still, we had to remind ourselves many times about the lack of good downtown restaurants, the winter, and of course, mosquito season that is on its way anytime. But Saskatoon, like so many Canadian destinations in the summer, will charm and seduce you! Key words are the summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment