Monday, November 23, 2009

Ski my Life Away


Who were all those people who filled up the parking lot at Elk Lakes Saturday? We arrived noonish to one of the few areas with snow for skiing, and there were all these people there. It was wonderful actually. I felt like there was another world where people enjoy simple things, where they love being outdoors, even if it's cold.


Lately the mention of my wedding being Dec 29th brings all these criticisms about the winter. I keep saying that we're going skiing and later hottubbing outdoors, to embrace the winter rather than avoid it. This is again met with skepticism and eye-rolls. Seriously, do these people know they live in Canada? That must be a lot of denial, heat warmers and shopping in malls to pretend that we don't have a good 6 months of snow and cold. I have the most amount of disgust with my life when I don't embrace what it is throwing me, so this is a hard concept to appreciate in others.


It was wonderful and I felt exhilirated. It wasn't easy either. I was grateful for the groin stretching I do, snow ploughing down steep slopes and managing to stay on my feet. I was grateful for my level of fitness, my friend and her car, for the proximity to the mountains, to our wealthy lives that allows cheap gas, and free time. As soon as I woke up the next day to be "kidnapped" into a loooong, unhealthy and boring breakfast, I longed for another day of skiing. But it's good that I can keep that longing instead of feeling like it's too much. Thank you world for allowing me that beautiful day of x-skiing:)

No comments:

Post a Comment