Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My fiance

"I'm becoming depressed" she says, again, once more.
And I say again "what do you mean?" not knowing, not caring.
"I dunno" then the sounds of her snores.
I roll over, turn my back on the peaceful exit into dreamland.
What about me? Am I depressed? Was I ever?

"I hate my job" I tell her at coffee.
"Me too" she says.
I pay for her latte. I get a coffee. It's slightly unequal.
"You make more" She had said. With logic, and firmness. Always making sense.
"You argue better than me" I tell her at times, times when she's in my face, pointing and accusing.
"I know" she says, but nothing changes.

I send her emails all day, she replies. We hate our jobs, we go for jogs at lunch, coffees in the morning. Then we ride our bikes home together. I feed the cat and she stretches on our rug, doing some form of yoga that she has largely made up, suited it to herself. She says it is supposed to 'balance' her. She can accuse me of something while doing the yoga. I worry what the unbalanced her would be like.

"I love when you sleep without your shirt on" I tell her.
In a minute, she takes her shirt off.
"yesss" I hiss, moving over to wrap around her.
"mmm..." and then snores.
I lay awake again. Something is unequal here.

No comments:

Post a Comment